A MUST READ: BONGOS IKUE'S DIE HARD FAN (DH ADOYI) OPEN CONFESSION

DH Adoyi with Bongos Ikue

DH Adoyi (Danhausawa) is one of Northern Nigeria best sensations and in this piece, he talks about the Legendary Bongos whom has helped shaped his music career. The talented singer wrote extensively about his love for Bongos Ikue and his music, if you ARE A LEARNER, then this piece is for you. Please read through 

 

ARE YOU A LEARNER?!

"I grew up listening to Bongos Ikue back in Kaduna, my father will put on his record mostly on Saturdays during weekend house chores, and those great songs will play on for hours. Some of my earliest Idoma words came from listening to Bongos Ikue in my father’s music chamber. I and my little sister Ene will run to mother to ask her to please tell father to turn down the volume so we could enjoy sesame street on NTA, then sesame street was the popular kiddies show on TV and no kid will want to miss it for any reason. Amazingly I saw myself gradually liking the songs and singing along. My father hardly sang the songs; I suspect he just loved the singer’s velvety voice and its sassiness.
Years later a friend of mine invited me to Minna to sing at a beauty pageant, lo and behold seated on the high table among the special guests was the legend himself Mr. Bongos Ikue. After my performance, I approached him for a handshake and probably a photo with him. He graciously obliged, I was overjoyed by that singular experience. Unfortunately my camera phone failed me, It was a blackberry curve, it didn’t have a flashlight and the picture was taken in the dark. You can imagine the sadness and the grim look on my face when I discovered how much I’ve been screwed by my own phone
3 years later, here I was in Otukpo to celebrate Christmas and partake in the Miss Idoma beauty pageant and the Prestigious Mark D Ball basketball event. My friends and I drove to see another friend at a hotel, as we approached the gate I saw a long queue of cars waiting to be ushered in and I asked what was going on? The lady next to me answered “Don’t you know this is Double K Resort”? I said no, she went on, the hotel belongs to Bongos Ikue, and for the next 1 week the legend will be playing along with his world class band backed up by his 2 daughters to the delight of his fans and guest.
At that moment I told myself, “ol boy, this pissure no go pass you this time o….after all I’m not a learner”. True to her words the legend mounted the stage and greeted everyone present. The dude on the keyboard who later became my friend, Kingsley stroke a note and the rest of the instruments followed, and like in my father’s old records his voice tore through the speakers sounding the same. No sign of aging or weakness. Physically I was present but spiritually flown back to those mornings in my father’s music chamber. After the first song he asked the audience to make a request of any of his songs. That’s how yours truly got the legend to sing “Otachi kpokpo” to my delight and that of every soul present. That moment was super epic and will remain indelible in my mind forever. 
Need I say more? I got my picture with him this time with a camera phone that has wonderful features including a flashlight, I also got an autographed on his new CD ‘Wulu Wulu’ which I was privileged to buy at the venue. At 71 Bongos Ikue is so healthy and full of life. My father saw my picture with his hero and he smiled at me. I know what that means but I ain’t telling.
I wish to take my dad to see Bongos Ikue perform live in Otukpo next Christmas and get that smile again.
Among Ikwue’s popular hits, which made waves in the 80s and early 90s, were Cock Crow at Dawn, Otachikpokpo, Amen, Sill Searching, and Mariama.
He took a break from recording albums and went into property development, designing and contracting for over a decade.
Ikwue bounced back last year with Wulu Wulu, the title track of a new album making waves again"

Adoyi Samaila Ogwuche aka DH_Adoyi writes from Kaduna.
Share:

1 comment:

  1. Ambrose Gowong3 June 2013 at 18:17

    That's a nice piece, the tone was as if you've made heaven DH

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

Contact Form

Followers

Get the body of your dreams

Get the body of your dreams
BodyArt Cosmetic surgery centre

FLY DORNIER AVIATION NIGERIA AIEP

Dapals Zone loves you!!! Thanks for stopping by.. !! X0X0

Dapals Zone loves you!!! Thanks for stopping by.. !! X0X0

Always! Forward ever

Always! Forward ever
Win a N100,000 Education Grant in the "Always Forward Ever" Writing Competition!

My Ad

For Ads Placement

To get more visibility for your Products and Service, place an ad on our blog and various social media platforms.

Contact Us:

Theme Support

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...